It’s a perfect time of year to make this dish right here! Hearty vegetables accompany the chicken here.
For the Chicken:
- 1 3-to-3 1⁄2-pound whole chicken, giblets remove
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion, halved
For the vegetables:
- 4 red potatoes, chopped
- 10 Brussels sprouts, halved
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
What To Do:
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a medium-size bowl, beat the butter and spices to form a buttery paste.
- Cover the chicken in the paste, rubbing some between the skin and breasts.
- Place the onion halves inside the chicken cavity. Cover the chicken with foil and bake for about 25 minutes.
- While the chicken bakes, prepare the vegetables. On a baking sheet, toss the vegetables in olive oil. Spread the vegetables and chickpeas into a single layer.
- After 25 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Bake the chicken for another 25 minutes, then remove the foil. Bake the chicken for another 25 minutes, or until the chicken is around 165F if you have a thermometer
- Allow the chicken to cool a few minutes before cutting.
FOR THE VEGETABLES:
- While the chicken bakes, prepare the vegetables.
- On a baking sheet, toss the vegetables in olive oil and spread them apart.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. After 15 minutes, add the chickpeas to the baking sheet and gently fold into the vegetables.