Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles
I don’t know ’bout you but shrimp scampi is one of my all time favorite dishes. Period.
Here we have a relatively simple recipe to follow in about 25 minutes and requires little adjustments from the traditional shrimp scampi with similar-tasting results. The one thing you will notice is that traditional pasta has been swapped out for zucchini pasta. This pairs the shrimp with a vegetable making it a complete meal and helps you avoid the excess carbs that come from regular pasta. For the zucchini noodles it is advised to cut them hours beforehand so they can dry out. This isn’t., however, totally necessary. I just place them on paper towels to assist in the drying.
Remember, Paleo isn’t about carb counting; it is about making better and healthier food choices that by default reduces your carb count and increases nutrient load.
To cut the zucchini noodles you will need a julienne slicer. These are one of my favorite kitchen items by the way. Take it from me, trying to make zucchini noodles without the proper slicer will not only frustrate you to no end but it will also probably cause you to slice your finger(s)!
For the shrimp I tend to prefer bigger, plumper shrimp compared to their smaller counterparts. Once cooked, shrimp do tend to shrink and since shrimp are the main attraction of this dish you should opt for bigger ones. Just make sure they are peeled and deveined. Those veins that you see running down the length of the shrimp are their digestive tract so they are perhaps filled with undesirables. Although, have I eaten the veins before? Absolutely. Did I ever get ill? Absolutely not.
What You Shall Need:
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup white cooking wine
1/2 tsp lemon zest ( you will need a zester for this)
Lots of parsley, plus extra for garnish. I used 1/4 cup total. Now that’s a lot!
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp oregano (we only fresh from our herb garden)
2 large zucchinis
olive oil and butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
What You Shall Do:
- Wash zucchinis, do not peel, and slice them long-wise to make noodles. Place on paper towel and set aside. The paper towel will help absorb some of the moisture.
- In a pan, heat olive oil then add garlic. Saute for a minute or two until fragrant. Do not overcook as this will make the garlic bitter.
- Add cooking wine, butter, parsley,lemon juice and zest, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Let this come to a boil then simmer for about 10 minutes so the wine reduces and the flavors meld.
- Add shrimp towards the end, cook until they become pink and cooked throughout.
- Lastly, add the zucchini noodles and toss to combine.
- Plate and garnish with remaining parsley and lemon wedge.