Recipe of the Week
Paleo Chicken Salad
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/4 cup “paleo mayo”(see recipe below)
- 1 portobello mushroom, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground sea salt
- Fresh herbs (I used fresh parsley and basil as well as a very small amount of fresh oregano which we have ample supplies of, growing in our herb garden.)
For the Mayo:
There are many different mayonnaise recipes you can find on the nets but I stuck with this one I’ll about to reveal. One thing for sure, no matter which recipe you decide….extra virgin olive oil is typically the way to go. You can , of course, always use macadamia oil, or avocado oil to change the flavor and the consistency. Sometimes those oils can give too strong of a flavor. But, if you want that real mayonnaise-y feel then opt for extra virgin olive oil.
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp water
2 tsp lemon juice
1 egg yolk
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
What To Do:
- Add cubed chicken breast to a large saucepan, add water until 3/4th of the way full and place on the stove over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until chicken is cooked throughout (roughly 20-25 minutes). Caution: Don’t walk away for too long as the chicken comes to a boil. You may need to skim the foam off the top and reduce the heat sooner.
- Drain the chicken and add to a large bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients, stir to combine, transfer salad to a bowl and serve.
- If you prepare this salad ahead of time, transfer it to the fridge. The longer it sits, the more the flavors will meld and the better it’ll taste. We’re talkin’ several hours to a day not several weeks.