Recipe of the Week
Spaghetti Squash Boats!
What You Shall Need:
1 medium spaghetti squash or 2 small spaghetti squash
1 and 1/2 lbs. Italian chicken sausage, with casings remove
1 sweet onion, finely dice
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 bunch kale, we always use organic
Extra virgin olive oil; will also need some at end to drizzle
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp pine nuts, lightly roasted
2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
What You Shall Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place squash in the microwave for 3-4 minutes to soften; or bake for about 25 minutes to soften. Cut the squash in half lengthwise. It is much easier to cut when it is softened.
- Scoop out the seeds and discard. Place the halves, with the cut side up, on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until you can poke the squash quite readily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, prepare the kale. Make sure stems are removed and the leaves are cut up. Or you can purchase already prepared kale. Over medium heat, heat olive oil in a pan. Add onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken sausage. Using a spatula, crumble the sausage. Cook for about ten more minutes making sure the sausage is crumbled, until it is browned. Add kale, stir. Cook for a few minutes more just to wilt the kale. Remove from heat.
- Once cooled, scrape the insides of the spaghetti squash with a fork to shred the squash into strands so it resembles spaghetti. Put the spaghetti squash into the skillet with the sausage and toss well. Season with salt and pepper as you desire.
- Divide the mixture among the squash shells, and garnish with pine nuts and parsley.